InternetFett

A-Wing 1/55 Scale

This project started out as an idea for a quick print to give to a friend that was visiting. We decided on this model of A-Wing because I thought it would print better. It was scaled to match the medium-sized Action Fleet series.

My printer malfunctioned and I ended up having to order a replacement part. Since it wasn’t going to be finished before the end of the visit anyway, I decided that I could take my time and add a custom paint job. These are the reference images that I used for the design:

A-Wing concept from mandalorianmercs.org
Rebels concept art by Ralph McQuarrie
How I laid out the print to minimize the need for supports.
All of the components after printing.

After it was assembled and I had started painting, I realized this thing really needed a stand. I threw one together very quickly in 3D builder and it worked great. I also printed a Mandalorian mythosaur skull stencil for use with an airbrush. The results really blew me away and I ended up using it to do some weathering, engine wash, and battle damage.

The jagged corners look bad, but get smoothed out by the print’s low resolution.
InternetFett

VCX-100 ‘Ghost’

My Ghost build was pretty straightforward. The model was ready-to-print other than slicing it up into a few pieces. I actually had a print fail on the upper portion, my gcode skipped a few layers. I had to cancel and print the rest after measuring what I ended up with. It has a slot to dock a shuttle, but I didn’t print one because I’ve already got a micro-machine version. My only complaint is that the large layer height made for very jagged inclines that soaked up a bunch of the mud wash.

InternetFett

VT-49 Decimator

This was the first large base ship that I have made for X-Wing Miniatures. I found a great source model that even included the stand. However, I was a little unhappy with the lack of details. I decided to try adding some myself.

Fusion360 has a great feature where you can import a vector image and use a projection of it to split faces on the model. I found a great line drawing of the Decimator and converted it to SVG for this purpose. After the new edges were in place, I adjusted the height of some of the panels and I dug out a 0.4mm trench where they represented gaps between panels.

SVG sketch overlaid on a 3d mesh body.
Freshly assembled Decimator on the left, Ghost on the right.

Overall, I was very happy with the result. I split the print into three pieces for the best orientation. I used some metallic paint and the red came out a little duller than I had hoped, but I think I achieved the ‘evil’ look I was going for.

InternetFett

Boba Fett’s EE-3 Blaster Rifle

This was my most ambitious and longest print by far (over 72 hours). There are 18 individual pieces that were assembled and painted. I used a real scope that I picked up on eBay and I designed a small part to interface between the scope and the top of the barrel. I used sandable auto primer to mask the ‘printedness’ and some metallic paint for the rust effect. I’m so happy with the results. This is something I’ve wanted to build for years- before 3D printing was even a thing. I’ll be adding additional photos later.

InternetFett

Armada Squadrons

These have the smallest details of anything I’ve painted. I am very pleased with how they turned out. I started with one of each squadron expansion pack (for cheap from Kingwood Hobbies) plus what comes with the core set. The most difficult part was deciding which color schemes to use.

InternetFett

Gladiator-class Star Destroyer

Here are some photos from my recent attempt to 3d print and paint a Gladiator-class star destroyer for use with Star Wars Armada.

First Attempt
Just after printing, still attached to the build plate.
After trimming excess and being glued together.
After the first coat of primer.
After several coats of primer and sanding.
After painting (with some battle damage from a print fail).

I washed it in black and then applied a chrome dry-brushing. I was not happy with it due to the resulting shine. I went back later and added a few additional matte coats to fix it up.

Too much chrome.
Final version after repaints.
Second Attempt
After further calibrating my printer, I decided to do a second attempt at a higher resolution to see what kind of results I could get.
You can clearly see the level of detail is much better.
Added sky blue to the engine exhaust.