This project started out as an idea for a quick print to give to a friend that was visiting. We decided on this model of A-Wing because I thought it would print better. It was scaled to match the medium-sized Action Fleet series.
My printer malfunctioned and I ended up having to order a replacement part. Since it wasn’t going to be finished before the end of the visit anyway, I decided that I could take my time and add a custom paint job. These are the reference images that I used for the design:
After it was assembled and I had started painting, I realized this thing really needed a stand. I threw one together very quickly in 3D builder and it worked great. I also printed a Mandalorian mythosaur skull stencil for use with an airbrush. The results really blew me away and I ended up using it to do some weathering, engine wash, and battle damage.
I recently discovered the X-Wing: Ground Assault fan-made expansion. I knew immediately that I wanted to make my own minis and give it a try, so I started searching for 3D models. I found a few that I liked and designed my own bases, then it hit me. I’m already gathering all of the 3D content, why not make a digital version first? I have been tinkering with X-Wing on Tabletop Simulator and knew it would be the perfect platform.
After learning how to create custom content, I realized a couple of things. The bulk of the models that I had found were too complex to be imported and they weren’t textured. I started my search over again. I began looking at older Star Wars games that would both be textured and low resolution. Empire at War and its expansion included most everything that I would need.
I had to take a crash course in modding EAW in order to get the data in a useable format. I used several different programs to view, extract, and convert the models/textures from a proprietary format.
I was extremely happy with the results, but soon realized that I had another problem. There was no way for me to extract the animation data. Humanoid models are typically posed with their arms outstretched by default, so I had to find a way to easily rig and pose the infantry units.
Luckily, I found a Blender extension called Rigify that can generate a skeleton for you and automatically attach it to nearby vertices. With just a little bit of manual cleanup, I was able to rig the infantry units and put them into somewhat believable poses. Fortunately for me, they look fine at the extremely small scale they appear in Tabletop Simulator.
The other components were pretty simple in comparison. I modeled the bases myself and extracted the card and tool images from the Ground Assault PDF. The dice/tokens/etc were imported from the X-Wing module I was already using. Finally, I made custom Snowspeeder bases using a program called Strange Eons with the X-Wing plugin and then I sliced and diced one for the AT-AT since it’s a custom size.
I really enjoyed working on this project and learning all of the different skills I needed along the way. Most importantly, it feels really good to contribute back to the community since I’ve been able to utilize so many free tools and modules built by others.
My Ghost build was pretty straightforward. The model was ready-to-print other than slicing it up into a few pieces. I actually had a print fail on the upper portion, my gcode skipped a few layers. I had to cancel and print the rest after measuring what I ended up with. It has a slot to dock a shuttle, but I didn’t print one because I’ve already got a micro-machine version. My only complaint is that the large layer height made for very jagged inclines that soaked up a bunch of the mud wash.
This was the first large base ship that I have made for X-Wing Miniatures. I found a great source model that even included the stand. However, I was a little unhappy with the lack of details. I decided to try adding some myself.
Fusion360 has a great feature where you can import a vector image and use a projection of it to split faces on the model. I found a great line drawing of the Decimator and converted it to SVG for this purpose. After the new edges were in place, I adjusted the height of some of the panels and I dug out a 0.4mm trench where they represented gaps between panels.
Overall, I was very happy with the result. I split the print into three pieces for the best orientation. I used some metallic paint and the red came out a little duller than I had hoped, but I think I achieved the ‘evil’ look I was going for.
This was my most ambitious and longest print by far (over 72 hours). There are 18 individual pieces that were assembled and painted. I used a real scope that I picked up on eBay and I designed a small part to interface between the scope and the top of the barrel. I used sandable auto primer to mask the ‘printedness’ and some metallic paint for the rust effect. I’m so happy with the results. This is something I’ve wanted to build for years- before 3D printing was even a thing. I’ll be adding additional photos later.
These have the smallest details of anything I’ve painted. I am very pleased with how they turned out. I started with one of each squadron expansion pack (for cheap from Kingwood Hobbies) plus what comes with the core set. The most difficult part was deciding which color schemes to use.